23 November, 2007

OpenSolaris Not Yet Ready For My Laptop

Recently, I blogged about the disaster that I experienced regarding the ext3 file system and concluded that I would want to try the Zettabyte File System on Solaris.

I have an HP Pavilion dv5600 laptop.

I downloaded and installed the Solaris Express Developer Edition on my laptop. This Solaris version is based on breakthrough development of the OpenSolaris operating system. But after trying it on my laptop, I learned that it doesn't support my HP laptop hardware yet. The Indiana OpenSolaris Developer Preview did not give me a good luck either.

Another operating systems that make use of the ZFS are the FreeBSD Alpha and the Mac OS X Leopard. I don't want to use FreeBSD which has the ZFS because it isn't stable yet. Mac OS X Leopard is too expensive for me; I can't afford it.

So, what now? I'm back to Linux. Linux is the best open source OS as far as the firmware/drivers is concerned. My Ubuntu Linux runs almost perfect on my HP Pavilion dv6500 laptop. But as soon as OpenSolaris is able to run on my laptop, I will always be willing to switch to it, only because of ZFS that I've been wanting to experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try StormOS: http://www.stormos.org/.

I posted too at your ZFS post.

james said...

What a great article. Thanks for sharing this information with us and hope to see your next update soon.
touch-screen-laptops